Well it’s not a secret really, but it’s more about how you can help your marriage by using marriage counselling to create the best relationship ever!
Lots of people are scared to go to marriage counselling or therapy because they think if they need to go that their relationship must be broken.
I say that’s crap!
If you go to therapy, I think you’re actually saying how much you care about your marriage and how important it is to you.
The thing is, relationship therapists are specifically trained with skills that can help you understand yourself, your partner AND the dynamics that are going on between you.
My husband and I ran into a little trouble a few years ago and we just couldn’t resolve our differences.
Going to therapy was the best thing we ever did. We finally broke the pattern of endless arguments we were having, and started to really hear what we were each saying.
Now we didn’t resolve our differences completely, but it did help with us getting better at living with our differences- kind of like agreeing to disagree-but respectfully.
So here’s 10 reasons why marriage counselling works:
- you get an objective person’s feedback on what you’re doing wrong
- you can slow down the arguments and finally listen
- you can learn to appreciate your partner’s perspective, even if you disagree
- you can identify the negative patterns that are pushing you apart
- you can talk about difficult topics in a safe and neutral zone
- you can learn how to improve your emotional and sexual intimacy
- you can start to appreciate your partner more
- you can feel more like a team that works together
- you can start to understand some of your own baggage you’re bringing into the marriage
- you can understand why your partner triggers you and what to do about it
Is that enough for you?
There’s a great resource of articles at this site if you want to read more.
And I just love the blogs at this site on relationships and marriage: ClintonPower.com.au
Check out this cool video of marriage counselling using emotionally focused couples therapy: